Thursday, June 21, 2012

LOGO LOCO

I'm knocking on the doors of your hummer hummer
Yeah, I'm knocking on the doors of your hummer hummer
Yeah, I'm knocking on the doors of your hummer hummer
Yeah, I'm knocking on the doors of your hummer hummer
You'll be hungry like the wolves hunting dinner dinner
And we're moving with the packs like hyena ena
Barbarella look like she's my dead ringer
When I'm dogging on the bonnet of your red Honda

I'm a road runner
I'm a world runner
I'm a road runner
I'm a world runner

-Bamboo Banga, M.I.A


How impossible is it to create the perfect logo for a brand? To me, I would not know where to even start! I know a few people who are automatically programmed for it, and seem to really enjoy it, but to me too many possibilities = too many headaches!
I do recall doing a module on it at design school, but have no recollection of creating anything (which is, anything worth noting), so for 'thecowboygeisha' I called apon a Spanish artist who would win no matter what he created.
That artists name is Ricardo Cavolo. (check him out HOLY HECK! When you check out his art, you will understand how the creation of my logo was going to be perfect no matter what.)
I first became aware of him through my equally talented friend/painting extrodinaire Mia Taninaka (check her out TOO! frig!) when she sent me and my lover a photo of a mermaid in love with a sailor in a glass bottle under the sea. She sent it because the painting reminded her of us and because she was next level frothing on his work.
I then contacted Mr Cavolo to buy this very art as a print. Thinking I was going to get a response from a robot on the other end, it was the man himself. Nek minute, we are talking about a collaboration for the brand and it all kind of rolled from there!
This dude is literally sky rocketing out the galaxy right now, and is even being commissioned by high rollers such as Urban Outfitters to paint murals in their stores etc. pow pow! Go Ricardo Go!
The only notes I really gave him was not to get too literal with it (a geisha in a cowboy hat for example) and he drew it anyway cause he thought it would be awesome and i was like "eff yeh, ok cool!"


I wanted to share with you the little journey of creating the logo for 'thecowboygeisha' and my main advice is this: only work with someone who is 100% your vibe and that you 100% trust, therefore you will be happy no matter what! (for example, I would not have hired a graphic designer from a big corporation who designs logos for accounting firms, cause that would have been a hell of a waste of time. obviously)
So without further a due! (with the mermaid/sailor pic to keep you up to speed!)
x










No comments: